Making your house a Home

So, how do you make a house a Home? We see on Pinterest and Facebook hundreds of posts about how to turn your house into the perfect place. For me, it's not about having nice furniture or everything matching, etc, but it's the little touches that make the biggest difference. Moving around so much growing up, our house always felt "homey" because my mom would have little decorations around the house that just added something special. She would also put them in generally the same area in every house, so even though the physical house changed every 2ish years, they all felt like home. 

As I settle into my apartment in Clemson with all of my roomies we have been trying to add little touches to make it feel like "home". Here are my recent two projects:

1. Kitchen Chalkboard

I had an old tray that I got as a passdown in college through Zeta. It was white with strawberries on it (not the cutest), but I just used it for magazines in my room. I was going to throw it away when we moved, but figured I better hold on to it just in case. Well look what I did with it! And it looks adorable in our kitchen...I need to get some better chalk, but I thought it turned out pretty cute!
 I used this little sanding block to sand the whole thing down at the beginning. Sanding it made it way easier to spray paint and that way I didn't have to do as many coats!

My spray painting skills! I actually would have put more newspaper done if I were doing this again, or would have done it in the grass because I made marks on the street...whoops!

 The finished product!

2. Door Wreath

My cousin and roomie, Carrie, had been talking about how we wanted a wreath for our door. Now, we knew we couldn't afford a new one at Michael's or Hobby Lobby because we are on a budget! We just felt like having a wreath would make us feel like we were coming home to a real house...don't y'all agree? Well, thank goodness for Hobby Lobby's 50% sales and 40% off coupons! We got all the materials we needed for a fabulous homemade wreath for $9 dollars...aka $4.50 each...SCORE! Here is what we used and how it turned out. I just googled a youtube video for help, but it was really easy. You basically just push the burlap through the wire wreath in 3 little sections and then fluff it up. I went back around and added the purple and orange for Clemson. We plan to keep the burlap and add different accessories for the different holidays and seasons....simple, cheap, and easy!

These are the basics...you actually don't even need the floral wire that is the little circular thing inside the wreath. You can use it if you want to, but I found that it was easier without it!

Halfway done!

 She's a beauty! I almost ran out of burlap, so if I was doing it again I might get one more roll of burlap to make it a little bit thicker...or a smaller wreath!

Displaying my handiwork!

Just call me Martha Stewart...without the getting arrested part haha! ;-) I love finding creative ways to use things and added little touches to make my house a "home". What do you do to get that homey feel?!

XoXo,
Southern Saving Grace

Comments

Popular Posts